Thursday, November 09, 2006

The short weeks season

Short work weeks that is. Saturday is Veteran's Day which means that as a state government employee I get Friday off. Then in two weeks we have Thursday off for Thanksgiving, then in a little over 4 weeks we have Monday the 25th off, a week later we have January 1st off and then a couple of weeks later we have Equality Day (Martin Luther King Day) off. Then there are no short weeks until Memorial Day in May. I like having the occasional short week, but it is just crazy this time of year. Add to that our annual Vegas vacation in December and I end up feeling like I will never get caught up at work. The only saving grace is that the day after Thanksgiving ends up being very quiet because people assume we are closed when we aren't and I can get a lot done then.

No big exciting plans for the day off, I have some errands to run, and a bit of early Christmas shopping to work on and then housework and work on some projects for my Etsy store. I hope things will start to sell there, but again I feel like I am in a gulf between trendy, hip handmade items and needlepoint canvas tissue box covers. Maybe I can be a trend setter of sorts, which is really a scary thought, or maybe just open things up for other people. Who knows, but at this point it's nice to get back into working with leather, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I also need to get back into working on jewelry, come up with a project for the snopester craft challenge since I initiated the whole thing, plus I'd like to work out away to do a beaded lanyard for my badge for work. On the lanyard I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to make it, but I need to figure out a couple of things. The first is how how the badge will attach, but I have orders some findings that should work, I'll just need to experiment. The second is coming up with a release for it so it falls off if it hooks on something or someone grabs it. That leaves me in the odd position of trying to find a clasp that will fail, which is the exact opposite of what you look for in a jewelry clasp. I'm going down to another gem and mineral show on Saturday, I'm hoping to get some different styles of clasps that I can test. Once I start working on the lanyard project I will, of course, discuss the process over on my project blog.

No comments: