Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Milestones

I generally don't do a very good job of keeping track of milestones. I can barely remember the date E and I got married much less how many years we've been married and I only remember his birthday because of some song lyrics. Very occasionally a milestone pops up into my consciousness that really strikes me. That happened yesterday when I realized that Sunday the 20th was the the fifth anniversary of me starting at this job. It made me think back a bit over the past 5 years and a few things really struck me. The first is how far I've come in that time. I have a job I like, with a good salary and a lot of stability. The second is how grateful I am that things worked out the way they did. I guess to really be able to explain why I need to give a bit of background. My previous job was as a travel agent in a call center and while I had enjoyed it to begin with, the fact that we had really unrealistic goals and an atmosphere where the average worker was never rewarded had really started to wear on me. I was starting to reach my breaking point and get ready to look for a new job but hadn't quite gotten there when we were called into a meeting where it was announced that our call center was being closed in 3 months. My first thought, which I guess is completely natural, was to think that it couldn't be happening. Luckily I went through that stage for maybe 5 or 10 minutes and then snapped out of it. It was like I heard someone saying to me 'This is really happening and you need to figure out what you're going to do' and I took it seriously. A lot of my co-workers went to the bar for a drink after the announcement, when they asked me if I wanted to join them I said no and came home to dust off my resume and start looking. It still took me 2 months after that job was over to start this job as a contact employee, but it all worked out in the end. I don't think I would be where I am now if I hadn't have gotten that big cosmic kick in the ass to go do something about getting a better job, and for that I'm really grateful.

No comments: