Thursday, July 27, 2006

Is it over yet?

We are coming to the end of our big influx of tourists am I am ready for it to be over. Thankfully we live, and I work, pretty far away from the center of it but there's enough going on that it gets frustrating especially for me since I don't like crowds. E and I made out annual visit out to the fair grounds Wednesday to see what was going on out there. It was pretty much the same as any other year, although they had some new food vendors and had taken out a building so the layout was a bit different.

I'm always the most interested in the jewelry vendors but for the most part it is the same old thing every year: supposedly authentic Native American pieces, odds and ends of beaded items and over priced mass produced items. This year was a bit different. We stumbled on a booth run by a Dineh (Navajo) gentleman who was selling pieces made either by himself or by members of his family and he had some absolutely spectacular pieces. I've always been fond of the look of the traditional stone inlay jewelry but I never really found a piece that jumped up and demanded I take it home until now. He had a bracelet that was rectangular panels of opal inlay separated by round opals that jumped out at me. I just couldn't resist and the whole thing got even better when I found out that he was the artisan who had made the bracelet.

I wore it to work today and I just kept staring down at it and watching the opal dance . I guess it's my inner raven coming out and being drawn to the sparkley things.

No comments: