Monday, March 06, 2006

What have I gotten myself into?

I finished getting the tooling designs for the book satchel worked out last night and tonight. I need to get a clear copy, then the next step is to transfer them onto the leather, tool them, dye the leather, sew it all together and then apply neatsfoot oil to seal it. I'm starting to think that I have to be out of my mind to be trying to make this. I think I'm too far along to quit though, especially since I've already said I'm entering it. And I need to finish my new garb too. I think I'm out of my mind.

It does give me a good point of reference on what it will be like doing the tooling though. I laid out the design for the back in pencil then went over it in pen, essentially drawing the design twice. Right now my right thumb and the knuckle at the base of my right index finger are sore, my wrist is really sore and I have a weird ache going up my forearm starting at my thumb and going straight up to my elbow. Everything is hot and itchy too. At this point I think I am going to have to pace myself very carefully with the tooling since the main part of it will be engraving which is done with a stylus I hold like a pen or pencil. I think I will have to do only do a bit at a time and then take a break to keep from overdoing it. I hope I have enough time to get this done.

1 comment:

andres said...

Hi,
sorry to post this as a comment, but it's the fastest way for you to notice it.

Would you please help us spreading the word about our project in your blog? "Tip me for dancing!" (www.tipmefordancing.com) is where me and two partners try to collect money to start our own business.

All we are asking is a small post about our project. Thanks!