Thursday, March 02, 2006

A bit of a rant

I don't often get forwards at work because I've irritated people enough by debunking stuff that they've stopped forwarding stuff to me. Occasionally one gets through, and this week it happened to really irritate me. It's a little gem called St. Theresa's Prayer and I'll post the main text of it below.

Theresa's Prayer cannot be deleted. Remember to make a wish before you read the poem. That's all you have to do. There is nothing attached. Just send this to six people and let me know what happens on the fourth day. Sorry you have to forward the message, but try not to break this, please.

Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive. There is no cost but a lot of reward.

(Did you make a wish?) If you don't make a wish, it won't come true. This is your last chance to make a wish.

St. Theresa's Prayer:
May today there be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.... May you be content knowing you are a child of God.... Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every one of us. Now, send this to 7 people within the next 5 minutes. And remember to send this back..I count as 1...you'll see why. Suggestion: copy and paste rather than forward

Now despite the fact that it is heavily Christian, that isn't my main irritation with it. My main irritation is that it was being forwarded around to help a co-worker, D, is is very ill and on the list for a kidney transplant and prior to forwarding someone had added:

A good friend of his started this and I can't think of a better way to help him with his difficulties.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I can think of a number of better ways to help someone than forward a piece of junk around. In this particular situation the person that added that note could donate some of their sick time when D runs low, they could offer to help his family out by doing chores or errands, they could take over meals, they could work hard to get more people signed up for organ donation and most important of all they could go get tested and see if their kidney was a match for D. This is truly slackivitism of the worst kind because there are things that could be done and instead people forward something on and then pat themselves on the back for doing such a good thing.

On a more humorous note I like the line about how the prayer can't be deleted. All I could think as I hit the delete button was 'Watch me'. Besides, what is a Catholic saint going to do to a heathen who deleted her prayer? Look at me sternly and say 'No, no,. Bad heathen'? (Also funny is that the spell checker seems bound and determined to replace 'Theresa' with 'thrashes'.)

3 comments:

Bill D said...

Well, glurge is stupid. It's the rule.

And, you're right. That was slackivitism at one of it's worse moments.

Don't you just love email being within reach of such people?

Noemi said...

Yeah I keep forgetting that. Thankfully I've only gotten it once so far, but it makes me hate the fact that we have email at work.

Zigrida said...

What do I do Naomi?
I just found St Theresa's prayer chain letter that a dear friend sent me over a month ago.
Got lost in my newsgroup mail.
Although we chichat only occasionally, we are very close.
I live on the east coast she on the west so we really can't be in each others pockets and its ok by us.
I'm writing to her now.
1. Should I ignore the sent chain letter.
2. Tell her how much I have admired Mother Theresa's life long work with the Sisters of Charity.
(In fact, I can't recall Mother Theresa ever being associated with this prayer.)
3. Dislike chain letters especially when it is selling God.

By the way one of my four cats just walked back and forth over my keyboard. Nothing happened.

Goodnight