Monday, February 06, 2006

Thoughts on cell phones

Since I'm home sick today and don't have the energy to do much beyond sit here at the computer I thought I'd write something a bit more serious that has been rattling around in my head.

I'm not one of those people who feels that cell phones are a sign of the end of the world. I own one myself and feel that they can be useful tools. What I don't understand is the way that they seem to have taken over people's lives to the point that they drop everything just to answer their cell phone no matter what they are doing. It also seems like half the conversations I've overheard don't seem to have much point. They aren't a work related call, a call to get or provide needed information, or a parent dealing with a family problem, they are merely chit chat. Granted I'm not into that sort of thing in the first place, but what is the point of doing it in the middle of the grocery store? And does this mean that the person leads the rest of their life that way, with the phone stuck to their ear chatting away? Will they die if they aren't connected to someone at all times like that? Are they going to be buried like that?

Ultimately the problem may be that I'm pretty anti-social so I don't understand the need to be that connected. My cell phone is a convenience for me, not a tether the rest of the world can reel me in with, so very few people have my cell phone number and I don't answer it if I'm in the middle of something or if I don't recognise the number. (The only time I do answer if I don't recognise the number is if I've gotten several calls from that number so I can let them know they have a wrong number since my voicemail obviously hasn't tipped them off yet.) Am I hopelessly behind the times? Who knows, but I am happy this way, so I guess it's all that matters.

1 comment:

BigMama said...

Nope, you're not wrong at all. I like having a cell phone, but I don't need to talk to someone on a phone if I'm with, you know, live people. They can wait to talk to me when THEY'RE with people!